Search This Blog

Saturday, August 16, 2008

You are special...

Yesterday I read Annabeth a book called "You are Special" by Max Lucado. When she and I went to the library this morning, she pointed to a board book version of the book that we saw there, and said, "You are special!" Then, when we came home, she was playing with Grandma at her dollhouse, she said, "Grandma, you are special!" and then she said she wanted to sing a song. When Grandma asked her what she wanted to sing, she said, "Jesus loves me." It's nice to know that she's catching some of the messages we're trying to communicate to her. :)

She's starting to recognize the emotions of herself and others and communicate them to us. Yesterday she told me, "I'm mad. Grandma told me to put my toys away and I don't want to and I'm mad." She also tells me when she and others are sad and happy.

I think one of the hardest things for a toddler is that they have such strong emotions, and at times have trouble communicating them. One of our friends gave Annabeth a book shortly after she was born (when her own boys were in their toddler and preschool days) called "My Many Colored Days" by Dr. Seuss. I think I see why this is such an appropriate book for kids (and parents of kids!) that are Annabeth's age.

No comments:

Post a Comment